Creating a Personalized Learning Environment
January 11, 2020 written by PDC
Creating a Personalized Learning Environment
Imagine entering your face-to-face or virtual classroom and seeing engaged and eager learners. Further, imagine that your students feel challenged, inquisitive, and confident that what they will be learning will be exciting to discover with you, and it will make a connection to the real-world. This image is the reality of a personalized learning environment. Teachers become reinvigorated to teach, students will know that they are powerful collaborators in their learning, and students become knowledgeable and equipped to tackle anything that comes their way.
A personalized learning framework does not require teachers to start from scratch but instead allows them to use what resources they already possess. It also gives students the ability to make a real connection between their community and real-world environment to what they are learning academically. When students can own their learning process, they succeed because they set their own goals, complete the work, seek approval, and are motivated to push forward in their learning.
The Importance of Developing a Personalized Learning Curriculum
Personalized learning is a student-driven model that starts with the creation of a Personal Learning Profile to determine each students' strengths, challenges, interests, aspirations, talents, and passions by determining how learners access information, engage with content and concepts, and express what they know and understand. Teachers can instead connect the current curriculum's academic goal with learning related to learners' lives, interests, and needs. Teaching and learning become more exciting and engaging to help students find their drive to want to learn. Through personalized learning, schools are transformed, teacher and learner roles are shifting, and real learning is taking place.
In the course 3-semester credit course Personalized Learning: A Powerful Solution to an Urgent Need for Change, offered by Professional Development Courses at the University of La Verne, teachers and administrators will learn how to develop and implement a personalized learning plan to meet the unique needs of 21st-century learners. Through the understanding and adaptation of personalized learning techniques, you will become invigorated and ready to get started. Your students will be excited. Together, you will collaboratively develop a curriculum that will allow your students to meet state standards and thrive. Now is the time to move away from simply teaching your students to instead fostering a self-directed and self-managed learning environment for everyone!
Benefits of the Course Personalized Learning
Personalized Learning: A Powerful Solution to an Urgent Need for Change is a course designed for K-12 educators and administrators looking for a straightforward approach that will allow them to experience and harness the easy-to-use personalized learning techniques.
Teachers will learn how to design the learning environment, shape the learning experiences, and consciously perform tasks for the natural evolution of personalized learning to occur through a thoughtful and engaging curriculum.
- Define personalized learning (the What)
- Define learners and how they learn best (the Who)
- Explain how teacher and learner roles are changing (the Wow)
- Share how personalized learning is happening around the world (the Where)
- Provide a rationale that is needed before teachers take any steps to develop personalized learning environments (the Why)
- Describe the culture shift that happens when learning is turned over to learners
- Discuss the disconnect between traditional school and postsecondary life
- Describe the goals of contemporary schooling
- Utilize strategies for implementing task design elements
- Compare how the roles of teachers and students shift with personalized learning
- List the key elements that support a student-driven model of personalized learning
- Articulate a vision for adaptive change for a better school
- Communicate to others the what, who, wow, where, and why of personalized learning
- Plan the steps for revising a current lesson plan for personalized learning
- Create a Personal Learning Profile which includes how a learner accesses information, engages with content and concepts, and expresses what they know and understand
- Reflect on the impact of this course on current thinking regarding the shift from teacher-driven to student-driven instruction
Personalized Learning Course Contents
Successful completion of Personalized Learning: A Powerful Solution to an Urgent Need for Change will lead to long-lasting benefits for yourself and your students. It may also impact your professional career by allowing you to leverage your new skills towards salary advancement, license renewal, or recertification. Students are encouraged to seek approval from their district or state before enrolling.
- The purpose of personalized learning and the benefits for learners
- An overview of personalized learning and the shifts required for the teacher and learners to transition to personalized learning
- The steps to revise a current lesson plan to begin implementing a Stage One personalized learning environment in the classroom
- Reflecting on the value of student-driven content and concepts
This course's content is self-paced, written in a user-friendly format, and it is accessible online 24/7 or via a PDF format delivered directly to your email inbox.
This 3-semester credit course can also be applied toward the Motivation and Classroom Management Certificate and the Inclusive Classroom Teaching Certificate offered by Professional Development Courses at the University of La Verne. Courses may only be applied to one certificate. Other popular course options for these timely certificates include:
- Motivating Students Who Don't Care
- Coaching a Growth Mindset: Unleashing Student Potential
- Effective Classroom Management Strategies for the 21st Century Classroom
- The Flipped Classroom
- The Differentiated Classroom
- Making Connections for Engaged Learning
- The Multicultural Classroom
- Teaching Gifted and Talented Students
- Creating a Mindful Environment
- Child Behavior Disorders
- Understanding Autism
- Teaching Students with Mild Disabilities
- And many more
Note, the University of La Verne is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Since requirements may vary, students should check with their school district or state department of education before enrolling in a course.
How to Register
The course Personalized Learning: A Powerful Solution to an Urgent Need for Change is completed online or via an emailed PDF format. All books and materials are mailed to the student regardless of the format selected. Featuring online chat support and quick grading turnaround times, this course is open for registration at any time during a semester. Upon completion, students receive graduate, non-degree semester credit on official transcripts from the University of La Verne, an accredited university in La Verne, California.
Registration is simple and can be done online or over the phone. Courses are offered on a rolling basis during three standard semesters, and you can begin whenever you are ready! Courses are offered ongoing during three semesters. Students may enroll in up to a maximum of 15-semester credits at any time during each semester.
The registration dates are:
Fall: September 1 – January 31
Spring: February 1 – May 31
Summer: June 1 – August 31
Our course, Personalized Learning: A Powerful Solution to an Urgent Need for Change, provides the necessary steps for getting started in personalized learning, explains the importance of a Personal Learning Profile, and demonstrates why personalized learning is the powerful solution to an urgent need for change to address the unique needs of today's learners.