This course describes the political and geographic reasons for the rise of Rome and the foundation and expansion of the Roman Empire. Aspects of Rome's contributions to social and political history, literature, philosophy, art and architecture, and influences on Western civilization are explored, as are the lives of both ordinary and extraordinary individuals. Finally, this course discusses the reasons for the disintegration and decline, after eleven centuries, of the Roman Empire.
- Learn the early strengths and lasting contributions of Rome.
- Discuss the influence of Julius Caesar and Augustus in Rome's transition from republic to empire.
- Describe the government of the Roman Republic and its significance.
- Discuss Roman art and architecture, technology and science, literature, language, and law.
- Identify the location of and the political and geographic reasons for the growth of Roman territories and expansion of the empire, including how the empire fostered economic growth through the use of currency and trade routes.
This course is applicable towards the following certificate(s):
Visit our Certificates page for more information.
Professional development courses for teachers.
Top Reasons to Enroll Online!
* Easy, self-paced platform
* Freedom to work on your course where Internet is available
* Requires only basic computer skills
* No papers or handouts to accidentally lose
* Receive books and/or DVDs in the mail
* Quicker turn around time for grades
* Online Chat available
* Ability to print coursework for your records at anytime