A better understanding of the elements included in a grade will lead to more effective feedback and communication between teachers and students and teachers and parents. Topics in this course include the purposes of grading and reporting, the effects of grading and reporting on student learning and motivation, the benefits of a multi-faceted, comprehensive reporting system, the rationale for separating nonacademic factors from the academic letter grade, the fairness of offering students more than one chance, and the profound effect of zeros when averaging a grade.
- Gain a deeper and more reflective understanding of the various aspects of developing grading and reporting systems
- Understand how to implement best practices in grading and reporting systems
- Know that communication is the primary goal of grading and reporting and that grading and reporting are integral parts of the instructional process
- Learn that good reporting is based on good evidence
- Learn the importance of creating a multi-faceted reporting system
- Gain awareness that grading can be an invaluable tool for pinpointing strengths and weaknesses in students' understanding, provide a shared language for discussing learning, and help improve student performance over time.
- Receive a thorough grounding in grading research and theory
- Clarification as to the basic purposes of grades and what should be included in them
- Insight into the rubric-based approach to assessment and reporting
- Expertise in how to compute final topic scores and final grades
- Become aware of the alternatives to report cards with overall grades
This course is applicable towards the following certificate(s):
*Motivation and Classroom Management
Visit our Certificates page for more information.
Professional development courses for teachers.
Top Reasons to Enroll Online!
* Easy, self-paced platform
* Freedom to work on your course where Internet is available
* Requires only basic computer skills
* No papers or handouts to accidentally lose
* Receive books and/or DVDs in the mail
* Quicker turn around time for grades
* Online Chat available
* Ability to print coursework for your records at anytime