Unleashing Student Potential through a Growth Mindset Curriculum
October 4, 2021 written by PDC
Coaching a Growth Mindset provides a fascinating approach to unleashing student potential. K-12 educators and educational professionals will learn how to coax students to persevere, tackle challenges, and understand that they have the potential to grow in their knowledge and understanding of new concepts. Students will learn how to offer more purposeful feedback, instill grit, and reinforce the growth mindset through focused formative and summative assessment.
Course Number: EDUC 718N
Semester Credits: 3
Growth mindset is a fascinating approach to unleashing student potential and improving student achievement. It acknowledges that the brain has limitless potential to learn and grow. This growth occurs when teachers coach students to persevere, tackle challenges, and learn from mistakes. If you are interested in learning more about a growth mindset and how you can create a growth-mindset classroom environment, this is the course for you. You will learn how to build stronger relationships with students, parents and colleagues, how to offer purposeful feedback, instill the personal characteristic of grit, and so much more. At the end of this course, you will have created personalized, growth mindset lesson plans for each month of the school year. Teachers of all grade levels will find this course relevant.
Students will be able to
- familiarize themselves with the definition and characteristics of the two mindsets—growth and fixed mindsets.
- coach students to unleash their potential to develop, grow, and achieve in any given area.
- talk about how our brains learn and grow.
- give students a detailed tour of their minds.
- make their classroom a safe place in which students can take educational risks.
- build stronger relationships with students, parents, and colleagues.
- focus on praising children in a way that celebrates the effort they put into something, as opposed to their "natural" qualities and talents.
- offer specific, timely, purposeful, consistent feedback to have more of an impact on the growth mindsets of students.
- learn how to set goals and create a plan for developing the personal characteristic of grit.
- teach students about grit and how to help them develop it by coaching them to pursue goals worthy of their passion and perseverance.
- reframe student mistakes as valuable learning opportunities, as well as offer ideas for coaching students through setbacks.
- learn how the power of "yet" can reinforce the growth mindset in learning through purposeful formative and summative assessment.
- equip students with the tools they'll need to continue to use a growth mindset in their educational and personal lives using self-talk.
- developing a plan to control the fixed-mindset voice that lives in their head
- get teachers on board with growth mindset staff development.
- The Power of Mindset to Transform Teaching, Leadership, and Learning
- Becoming a Growth Mindset School
- What is a Growth Mindset?
- Character Education
- Why Growth Mindset?
- Launching Growth Mindset with Staff
- Leading with a Growth Mindset
- A Growth Mindset Curriculum
- Attitude Determines Altitude
- Language and Interaction in a Growth Mindset School
- Grading, Assessment, and Feedback with a Growth Mindset
- Staff Development in a Growth Mindset School
- Growth Mindset for Students and Families
- Growth Mindset Misconceptions and Missteps
- Towards a Growth Mindset Culture
Evidence of Learning Outcomes
Upon completing Coaching a Growth Mindset: Unleashing Student Potential, the student will demonstrate a reflective and practical understanding of how to coach a growth mindset in students to unleash their potential.
How to Register
Coaching a Growth Mindset: Unleashing Student Potential can be completed in either an online or via emailed PDF format. It is open for anyone to register at any time during an open semester. After completion, students receive graduate, non-degree semester credit on official transcripts from the University of La Verne, an accredited university in La Verne, California.
Registration is fast and straightforward and can be done online or over the phone. Courses are offered on a rolling basis during three standard semesters, and you can begin whenever you are ready! The registration dates are:
- Fall: September 1 - January 31
- Spring: February 1 - May 31
- Summer: June 1 - August 31