Children and adolescents with Asperger’s Syndrome (AS) can intrigue and confound us- often simultaneously! This course will help you achieve a better understanding of Asperger’s Syndrome. It will help you comprehend why individuals with AS act the way they do and what you can do to enhance more appropriate behavior. Intervention strategies to enhance learning and communication and suggestions for dealing with various situations and issues in the classroom are also covered. Topics include preparing yourself and your classroom for students with Asperger’s Syndrome, teaching effective ways to help your AS student be organized, adapt to change, and understand the perspectives of others. It also gives insight into dealing with emotions, meltdowns, following social rules, bullying, homework, and classroom discipline.
- Define characteristics of Asperger’s Syndrome for better understanding of the disorder.
- Understand AS behavior in terms of differences and communication styles.
- Understand adaptations for general education settings.
- Provide information on teaching strategies.
- Provide resources for teachers.
- Provide understanding of sensory disorders
- Provide general strategies for successful daily transitions.
- Understand importance of social skills support.
This course is applicable towards the following certificate(s):
*Inclusive Classroom Teaching
Visit our Certificates page for more information.
Professional development courses for teachers.
Top Reasons to Enroll Online!
* Easy, self-paced platform
* Freedom to work on your course where Internet is available
* Requires only basic computer skills
* No papers or handouts to accidentally lose
* Receive books and/or DVDs in the mail
* Quicker turn around time for grades
* Online Chat available
* Ability to print coursework for your records at anytime